25 February 2008

Slower Is Better

That's what she said!
Sorry... You must admit though, The Office is hilarious. The other day I was driving the speed limit on my way to work, I'm really on the fringe of society here, and I started to think about my feelings on traffic and driving in general. As a former speeder I really find driving slower to be less stressful.

When I say speeder I'm not referring to the ten-over-going-with-the-flow variety. I owned an Audi A6 with the 2.7L Bi-Turbo engine, what a machine! At the time it turned my stomach into a tight knot and delivered the adrenaline boost I craved, it made me feel alive. Probably had something to do with my closer proximity to death, but I got from point A to B in record times. Fuel mileage was atrocious. I sold that car to free up money to buy a house in June or July so I enjoyed the summer weather and commuted on a motorcycle. Until early December.

It is really cold in the morning on a motorcycle in December. So I purchased a 1989 Acura Integra for $850. A real spring chicken with 227,000 miles. Another fine craigslist purchase! It was love at first morning. I was completely enamored by the windshield and the heater. Around the same time I became fascinated with a subject known as hypermiling , now I don't drive as crazy as the king - but I did start looking for ways to improve my mileage.

I did a tune up to get the car running well, then I found the first modification - myself. Slow down, way down. I average around 55 mph on the highway. This correlates directly with the time my friends began to think I was weird, but slowing down did improve my mileage. More than that, it improved my commute. It didn't seem to take any longer and I felt relaxed. No longer pissed at "that guy" in the fast lane, or watching the radar detector, looking for cops, checking mirrors, constantly changing lanes often - nope, now I just cruise along at a calm pace, avoiding the brakes, and relaxing my way home.

It may take you some time to shake the hurry-up mentality, but if you give it a couple days I'll bet you feel much more relaxed when you arrive at your destination. What have you got to lose? Forty seconds on the way to the supermarket?