24 February 2008

3 Baby Steps to Improving Your Gas Mileage

So you want better fuel mileage?! Here are three easy things to do.

1. Inflate your tires up to the max pressure listed on the tire sidewall. 44 PSI is fairly common, I run mine at fifty. Depending on your car you will notice a stiffer ride. On the upside performance is increased, and if you live in Oregon, you are less likely to hydroplane. For those who fear an explosion of rubber and steel belts,
read up.

2. Drive Slower - I know everyone hates that one. You don't need to lower your speed to 50 MPH, just try driving 5 MPH slower that you normally would. On the highway speed has a huge impact on drag and thus, your mileage. Especially if your vehicle is a giant wind trap.

3. Keep your vehicle current on maintenance. All of it. Oil change, air filter, alignment, spark plugs, oxygen sensor(s), all of these can have a huge impact on your efficiency. I changed out my oxygen sensor recently and saw my economy jump about 3 mpg. With gas prices moving up and up, the part will be paid for in savings.

That should get you on the way to improving your mpg! I did these three first when I decided to care about fuel economy. Now I'm having fun looking for more ways to save on my monthly fuel costs. Try them out for a week or two and let me know if you see any improvement in your mileage!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha ha...very true! You hurry to the store, running stop lights and nearly hitting people, to save yourself 30 seconds. The unnecessary anxiety from driving seems to carry over into a stressful grocery store experience as well.

improving MPG said...

I know right! You're all upset and drown your sorrows in some comfort food - only to gain weight and make your mileage a little worse!

SPWS said...

I am a driver and my boss wants me to improve mpg of the truck that I drive. I will follow the steps that you give.